As an Ambassador, you are in a unique position to represent White Ribbon Australia and get more engaged in our social media platforms. Make sure you are following us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, and get involved in the conversation. Our networks generate robust discussion, particularly on Facebook, and we would love for you to get involved in the debate and spread the social change movement of ending men’s violence against women.
- Get involved in the conversation. Ask questions, share knowledge around the issue, be a part of the online social change movement.
- Spread positivity. A little bit of encouragement can go a long way. Encourage guys to speak out. Do you admire what someone wrote? Say so! Is someone on the right track? Let them know, and keep the conversation going.
- Be respectful. Remember you are representing White Ribbon Australia, so practise good behaviour. You are a role model for those in the online community too.
- Speak out if you see a comment or conversations that you don’t agree with. You are in a unique position to redirect the narrative and correct misconceptions about men’s violence against women, and about White Ribbon.
- Sharing is caring. If you don’t want to directly engage in conversation, share our posts to your own networks, and start the conversation in your own community.
- Think before you type. Online is forever – is what you are saying true? Is it constructive? WWGT – What Would Grandma Think?
- Stay safe. Only engage if you feel comfortable to do so.
- Keep in touch! We are always monitoring our social media accounts, so don’t hesitate to message us if you are unsure of how to respond to someone, or if you see something that you find concerning (eg. someone in danger of abuse, someone who is bullying/racist, or anything that breaches our social media policy). You are welcome to run comments or replies past us if you want to check in or make sure you’re on the right track.
- Talk about the issue. Men’s violence against women covers a lot of different areas and we’d encourage you to talk not only about domestic violence, but also things like use of language, the role men can play in ending violence, breaking down social norms, and speaking out when you see behaviour you are uncomfortable with.
- Be proud of the work you do as an Ambassador. You were chosen to represent White Ribbon for a reason. Trust that you know what you are talking about, and be yourself.
- Familiarise yourself with our social media policy and guidelines.
- Share with us if you have a positive experience or conversation with someone you’ve engaged with. We love a good news story.
- Get sucked into conversation with trolls. If a conversation is not going anywhere, don’t feel like you have to continue to engage.
- Be rude, even if you strongly disagree with someone’s views. If other users are spreading hate, don’t enable them. Respond calmly and logically. Get in touch with us if you have any concerns.
- Share unrelated personal opinions about politics, religion, etc.
- Get too personal. Avoid giving out any personal details, accepting friend requests from people you engage with, or taking conversations into private messages.
Let’s get social! We’ll see you out there.