Light In My Window
25 November 2017 - 10 December 2017
A Tamil Women’s Development Group Social Media Campaign.
The Tamil Women’s Development Group invites you to participate in Light in My Window – Campaign against Domestic Violence.
This campaign aims to shed light on the devastating effects of domestic violence with the commitment to make our community safer.
The TWDG Light in My Window Campaign Against Domestic Violence signifies the hope for community solidarity toward ending domestic violence across the Tamil diaspora and beyond.
We aim to present the sight of the purple-light to indicate to victims that they are supported, that abuse is not tolerated and that we have a commitment to working together to create safer homes and communities. This is a simple and meaningful way for us all to be a part of speaking against domestic violence.
What do you have to do?
• Light a purple candle or electric light in the windows of residences, businesses, schools/universities, hospitals, places of worship, etc.
• Display the information card seen above that provides the purpose of the campaign and about the collective strength symbolized by the purple light displayed in windows.
• Take a photo of your display and send it to the following email address so that we can post it on our Facebook page:
• Share it in your own social media network along with the information card.
This campaign will be held during the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence – a global campaign to raise awareness about violence against women and its impact on a woman’s physical, psychological, social and spiritual well-being.
The 16 Days of Activism begins on 25th November on International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and ends on December 10th International Human Rights Day.
Purple used in this campaign is drawn from the purple ribbon, a traditional symbol of domestic violence awareness and remembrance.
The TWDG Light in My Window Campaign represents:
• A personal commitment to fostering respectful relationships.
• A unified stance that domestic violence is not acceptable in our neighborhoods, schools, workplaces and homes.
• Hope that together we are lighting the way to peace in our hearts, our homes, and the world.
The Light in My Window Campaign heightens awareness about the prevalence of domestic violence in our communities, and it serves as a reminder that each person has a role in ending domestic violence.
If you need more Information,
referral or support please contact TWDG DV Support Worker at:
0434 940 065
This campaign is an adaptation of a concept originally borne out of the West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence (WVCADV) Public Awareness Advisory Committee.