What is financial abuse?
Financial abuse can be subtle, with a man gradually taking control over bank accounts and financial transactions. Financial abuse can also be obvious, violent and threatening. For example, a man may forbid a woman from working or spending her wages.
Signs of financial abuse
In the context of men’s violence against women, financial abuse includes:
- complete control of finances and money
- restricting access to bank accounts
- providing an inadequate allowance and monitoring what a woman spends money on
- forbidding a woman to work
- taking a woman’s pay and not allowing her to access it
- preventing a woman from getting to work by taking her keys or car
- identity theft to secure credit
- using a woman’s credit card without her permission.
Learn more about the other types of abuse that some men use against women.
What to do if you are experiencing financial abuse
If you are in an abusive relationship, you can find help now.