Below is a list of signs of abuse. These behaviours are typical of the jealousy, controlling behaviour, put downs, threats and violence that occur in domestic violence and abusive relationships.
• Unfairly and regularly accuses her of flirting or being unfaithful
• Controls how she spends money
• Decides what she wears or eats
• Humiliates her in front of other people
• Makes sexist jokes against women
• Monitors what she is doing, including reading her emails and text messages
• Discourages or prevents her from seeing friends and family
• Threatens to hurt her, the children or pets
• Physically assaults her (hitting, biting, slapping, kicking, pushing)
• Decides what she uses for birth control
• Constantly criticises her intelligence, mental health and appearance
Our STOP Kit provides some examples of unacceptable behaviour If you or someone you know experiences these signs it might help to seek professional support.
Go deeper and expand your knowledge by completing our free eLearning course.